Fedora & Ndiswrapper & Mimo Wireless

Paul Hoy paul.hoy at mac.com
Tue Jul 26 04:27:44 UTC 2005

On Jul 25, 2005, at 12:06 AM, Jonathan Berry wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> [notes inline]
>
> On 7/24/05, Paul Hoy <paul.hoy at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Terry,
>>
>> Thanks for your email. I should have provided more details in my
>> original email. Being aware of the 4k of memory issue, I recompiled
>> the kernel and also tried the Linuxant kernels.  I was able to get
>> the lights going on the modem, but could never achieve a connection
>> with the router.
>>

> So did you get farther with the 8k stacks versus 4k?  I would think
> that if you were having issues there that you would get nice things
> like kernel panics and lockups, not that it just wouldn't work.  But
> my card works just fine (Broadcom chipset) with the 4k stacks, so I
> have not seen the symptoms of small stacks when larger ones are
> needed.  But I have had other problems that resulted in kernel panics
> and hard locks.
>

>> One thing about recompiling the kernel, though. When I used xconfig
>> to remove the 4k limit, it only gave me the option to disable the
>> limit and indicated that FC4 would use a 8k limit. I though 16 k was
>> needed in some cases.
>>

> I think Linuxant, as mentioned before has 16k stack kernels.  I've
> heard that the Linux kernel is going more toward 4k stacks
> exclusively.
>

>> As you suggested, I also used the Network utility to try to activate
>> the card. The lights came on (as I mentioned), but it could not
>> connect. I tried several different settings.
>>
>> I'm going to try it in SUSE, and see what happens, which is too bad
>> because I really like FC4.
>>

> I don't think that SuSE will do any better than Fedora.  ndiswrapper
> works just fine with Fedora.  So if you are having problems, it is
> with the configuration.  SuSE might be able to more easily configure
> things, but that would be the only possible difference I could think
> of (I'm not saying that it would be, just that would be a possible
> difference).
>

>> Thanks for your email.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> If you could give us some specifics, such as wireless card(s) (the
> output of "lspci" for the card would be helpful), drivers, setup (WEP,
> etc, (no need to tell us keys, just whether you have it or not)), what
> you have tried, what hasn't worked, etc.  Without details, we can only
> help you so much.  With details, someone just might be able to tell
> you exactly what to do.
>
> Jonathan
>
> PS: Please do not put your reply above the email you are replying to.
> That is called top-posting and makes the conversation flow harder to
> follow when reading.  Please either put your reply below or inline
> (like this one) as that is the convention on this list.
>
> --

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your email; it's what I appreciate about this list and
most of the Fedora community.

As you predicted, after trying ndiswrapper on SUSE, the results were
the same: the drivers were successfully installed, the modem's lights
went on, it successfully found the router, but I still can't access
the Internet.

  I just reinstalled FC4, and have no wireless support at this point.
I plan to install the Linuxant modules and see what happens. I'll
send you the data you mentioned tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul