no mail between my linux boxes

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 26 06:50:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 22:44 -0700, Mike Noble wrote:
> Johan Lozano wrote:
> >  hi list,
> >
> > i have a problem with mail in my network.
> > when i send an email from one box to an other, the mail do not arrive.
> > even from the command-line
> >     mail johan at mbfrodo <mailto:johan at mbfrodo>
> > email does not reach to his destination
> >
> > mail outside my netwerk woks fine.
> > what can be the possible cause?
> >

> > Johan Lozano
> > MicroBit, Duffel
> > E-mail : johan.lozano at tiscali.be
> >
> > GPG key : 9A9FBFE1
> >

> Mail by default want to find an MX record in DNS for the system that is
> receiving the mail.  Not sure what what mail client/server you are using
> sendmail, postfix....etc. You can look up the documentation for the
> mail server that is trying to send the mail and find out where you might
> be able to shutoff the requirement for an MX record.

Any RFC-compliant SMTP mail client should fall back to an A record in
the absence of an MX record.

The OP should look in the mail log file for his sending machine
(/var/log/maillog by default) to see if the mail is actually leaving
that machine, and if so, where it's going. Then, look at the mail log on
the receiving machine to see what's happening to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if all machines are listening on localhost only
(the default) and hence the mail is stuck on the sending machine because
the receiving machine won't accept the connection.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>