X.Org on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 (Trident Cyberblade/XP)

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 26 07:46:35 UTC 2005

Alexander Apprich wrote:
> Hi Edward,
>
> Edward Dekkers wrote:
>
>> Alexander Apprich wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Edward,

>>> according to the Xorg documentation
>>> http://x.org/X11R6.8.2/doc/trident.4.html the Trident Cyberblade/XP is
>>> supported.

>>> Alex
>>>

>> Thanks Alex, yes, I do know that. The X.Org site was implied when I
>> said I'd scoured the net.
>>
>> In short - I should work but doesn't - has anybody got a working
>> configuration like this?
>>
>> I should also mention I had to do a text install. Graphics did not
>> work on install either.
>>

> Could you send the output of X -probeonly and also your xorg.conf
> Have you tried configuring X using system-config-display --reconfig
>
>> Regards,
>> Ed.
>>
> Alex

Is there any way to capture the result of X -probeonly? I tried:

X -probeonly > /home/edward/Xprobeonly.txt

But the file was empty.

I've tried using system-config-display --reconfig, with as a result that
the screen is white again. The cursor appears (and moves when I move the
mouse) for a few seconds then disappears. After that I get just
whiteness. Switching to text console is completely corrupted.

The best results so far have been vesa mode - a yummy 640x480 mode in 16
bit depth.

I won't mention that Windows works perfectly well in 1024x768 with 16
bit colour.

Basically - no matter what I do - using the trident driver has given no
result whatsoever.

Only playing with vesa modes has given me something so far - but I don't
have to mention 640x480 is unusable nowadays.

This is the xorg.conf I have attached.

Seems to me the version of this Trident in the notebook is not
compatible with the xorg version.

There's plenty of mention of these problems being eradicated when
XFree86 4.20 came along reading back on the net when this was a common
problem.

Should I go back to XFree86? If so is this an easy thing or is
everything now tightly integrated in x.org?

Regards,
Ed.