PHP5 downgrading to PHP4

Thomas Springer th.springer at gmx.net
Tue Jul 26 11:39:11 UTC 2005

Hi.

Rob Marchal wrote:

> Hi all
>
> since php5 looks quite different to php4 (coding part)
> i am trying to downgrade to php4. I have tried several ways
> to do that but failed.

You must did sth wrong.

> I did yum remove php and  taken a php4 rpm fc3.  But then
> at install it ask for the cdrom  and installs php5 again.

I would not recommand that.

> I have taken a version from php.net but have no idea how to
> make the server correspond with that php version becouse
> when i edit the httpd.conf  my server wont restart anymore
> becouse of some error which would be the LoadModule part.

You should tell us what exactly the httpd stderr'd when not
starting, but...

> So, could someone point me in the correct direction to get php4
> working on this machine?

I suggest you should be fine with it when installing the source, again,
and tell Apache to handle PHP, which is done through a file named :

$ cat /etc/httpd/conf.d/php4.conf

#
# PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language which attempts to make it
# easy for developers to write dynamically generated webpages.
#
LoadModule php4_module modules/libphp4.so

#
# Cause the PHP interpreter to handle files with a .php extension.
#
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .inc

#
# Cause PHP interpreter to display files with a .phps extension as
# source.
#

#
# Add index.php to the list of files that will be served as directory
#
DirectoryIndex index.php index.php4

These instructions can also be placed into the httpd.conf, but repeating
them in both files is afaik fatal.

> Thanks a lot,
> Rob

Thomas