List spam

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 12:11:25 UTC 2005

On 7/25/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Damian Menscher wrote:
>
> > It's probably simpler than that... I suggest we all actually fill out
> > his silly challenge-reponse thing, and then send him a few dozen emails
> > with megabyte-sized attachments.  Make sure each email includes a
> > message body saying something about not sending autoreplies to this
> > list.  Surely the sysadmin would notice when the user's inbox starts
> > taking a could hundred meg (or gig)?
>
> In the USA, that is probably a crime. And recommending it may also
> be a crime. It would probably be considered a DoS attack.
>
> > Note: I'm not advocating vigilantism here -- just suggesting a way where
> > we could get their attention (possibly the attention of the user, or, if
> > that fails, the attention of the sysadmin).
> >
> > Damian Menscher
>
> The sysadmin may be in cahoots. I recall a long bout of SPAM I
> had to suffer several years ago, when a guy starting sending me
> a bunch of unwanted junk, and he prominently put into his messages
> not to bother reporting him to his sysadmin or ISP, that he
> was his *own* sysadmin and ISP. Apparently, he had his own
> gateway onto the backbone, and what he stated in his e-mails
> was true. All attempts by my employer (a prominent Telecomm
> equipment manufacturer) failed to get that guy turned off.
>
> Eventually, I just figured out how to make Pine automatically
> junk the e-mails he sent. He often spoofed return addresses,
> so it took some ingenuity to get the filter to work.
>
> Mike
> --
> p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
> I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!

Then why doesn't the list manager just delete this guy's email address
form the list? I know that this has been mentioned in past Peter
discussions, and I have emailed fedora-list-owner at redhat.com as
recommended on the mailing list homepage. So who is the list manager?
Surely some Redhat engineers drop by on the list and can get the
message to someone who can delete Peter. I'd even volunteer myself to
monitor the list and manage users like this. If Redhat would trust me
with the keys, of course.

Dotan
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/23/aguilera_christina.php
Aguilera, Christina Song Lyrics