List spam

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 26 13:11:44 UTC 2005

From: "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>

> On 7/25/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Damian Menscher wrote:
> >
> > > It's probably simpler than that... I suggest we all actually fill out
> > > his silly challenge-reponse thing, and then send him a few dozen
emails
> > > with megabyte-sized attachments.  Make sure each email includes a
> > > message body saying something about not sending autoreplies to this
> > > list.  Surely the sysadmin would notice when the user's inbox starts
> > > taking a could hundred meg (or gig)?
> >
> > In the USA, that is probably a crime. And recommending it may also
> > be a crime. It would probably be considered a DoS attack.
>
> Then why doesn't the list manager just delete this guy's email address
> form the list? I know that this has been mentioned in past Peter
> discussions, and I have emailed fedora-list-owner at redhat.com as

I took the easy solution. It is "duck soup" to make a rule to redirect
anything from Peter into the infinite bitbucket of /dev/null. He
bothered me exactly once. Then I figured if he does not want to read
my messages I do not want to be bothered with him at all. I have a
procmail rule for such bozos. It saves on the heartburn coefficient
over getting peaved at him every time I post a message. (It will be a
really really cold day in the core of the Sun when I respond to such
an email and it's not a communications of deathly importance to ME.)

{^_-}