SHRED for EXT3?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Jul 26 14:11:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 21:18 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Is there a secure file delete available for ext3 file systems?

You *might* be able to defeat journalling by creating a big enough file.
Then again, anything that would defeat journalling might also eliminate
your ability to write to the disk.

Another possibility is to convert ext3 to ext2
and back with shred-ing in between.
My recollection is that the conversions can be done without data loss.

Correction invited.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"There are three kinds of people,