Sans X11 install?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Jul 26 18:25:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:00:55AM -0700, patrick wrote:
> I'm trying to install a very bare-bones version of Fedora Core 4 which
> primarily means I don't want or need X11 or any related software. I
> have tried several times to do a custom install, ensuring that I do
> not select X11 or anything that even closely resembles anything
> graphical or whatnot, but the Fedore Core 4 installer seems to install
> all of that anyway.
>
> Is this intentional, or is it a bug? What's the best way to uninstall
> everything I don't need?

First, do a minimal installation, as nodata suggested.

Second, make a list of all the rpms that were installed. Go through
each one.

If you know you don't need it, try to remove it ("rpm -e"). Only if it
is not a requirement for something that you do need should you
actually remove it.

If you aren't sure, "rpm -qi package" to refresh your memory as to
what it does.

Iterate until you're satisfied.