Failed starting rpc.mountd

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 26 19:38:13 UTC 2005

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 15:19, Anthony J Placilla wrote:

>>><snip>

>>>Yes, I think so.

>>>It's included below. As I said, it only fail during booting, immediately
>>>after booting I can login as root and restart nfs and it would work fine.
>>>Is it possible that the order when stuff get runs is not right or
>>>something ?
>>>
>>># rpcinfo -p
>>>   program vers proto   port
>
> <snip
>
>>and the start up scripts are
>>S13portmap
>>S14nfslock
>>S25netfs
>>S60nfs
>

> Strange. I have the same start up scripts. It's a standard FC 4 install...

Do you do anything funky in, say, rc.local that may affect things
such as turning off iptables?  The thing to do is check any scripts
that are after S25xxxxxx to see if they futz with the network.  You'll
probably find something that undoes something done before the S25netfs
script runs, i.e. S08iptables enables iptables, S25netfs fails because
iptables blocks it, then S99local kills a rule in iptables and a
subsequent "mount -a -t nfs" works because the rule isn't there anymore.

Just an idea.
- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -