Videos?

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 22:19:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 14:15 -0400, Jesse Jarzynka wrote:
> Hey all, why on FC4 can nautilus only preview .mpg videos? For .avi and
> .wmv it just shows the icon, not the video preview. Also xine will only
> play .mpg, but mplayer will play them all. I have all the codecs
> installed obviously since mplayer will play them, but why can't nautilus
> or xine see anything but .mpg?
> --
> Jesse Jarzynka
> Cyber Source

Hi, I don't know why xine is behaving differently than mplayer, but I
think the reason nautilus only show thumbnails of mpeg is because it
uses totem-video-thumbnailer which uses gstreamer,  unless you have
installed totem-xine from livna (if that the case, ignore the rest of
this email).

Gstreamer supports for MS movies (.avi, .asf, .wmv) depends on the
available gstreamer-plugins.

I installed the following plugins:

gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio-0.8.10-0.gst.1.4 [1]
gstreamer-plugins-extra-video-0.8.10-0.gst.1.4
gstreamer-plugins-video-0.8.10-0.gst.1.4
gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd-0.8.10-0.gst.1.4
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.8.5-0.gst.1.4
gstreamer-plugins-0.8.10-0.gst.1.4

from gstreamer.freedesktop.org (plus their dependencies), and the
pitfdll gstreamer plugin (not available in rpm AFAIK) which allows
gstreamer to use the w32 codecs...

...and everything works fine (ignoring broken movie files).

[1] gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio conflicts with gstreamer-plugins-mp3
from livna, if I'm not mistaken.
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at gmail.com>