Installing FC4 AMD64 on IBM e326

Guy Rouillier guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com
Tue Jul 26 23:41:36 UTC 2005

Guy Rouillier wrote:
> I searched the archives to no avail (and couldn't figure out how to
> search the forums.)  I'm trying to install FC4 AMD64 on an IBM e326
> rackmount with dual Opteron 248.  The box has an onboard LSI SCSI
> controller, the LSI53C1030, and has two SCSI drives set up as RAID 1.  I
> can't figure out the magic incantation to get this installed.  For my
> first attempt, I didn't specify anything special, i.e., I let FC do what
>  it wanted.  It installed fine, but when I rebooted after install, it
> dumped me at a grub prompt.  When I tried to cat /boot/grub/menu.lst, it
> said "Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure."
>
> Hmm.  So for my next attempt, at the boot prompt I tried "linux reiserfs
> mptbase mptscsih".  I saw it load the two modules.  When I tried to use
> DiskDruid to set up my partitions, it said something like "kernel panic,
> unable to write partition table."
>
> Here are the partitions I'm trying to implement:
>
> /dev/sda1 ext2 /boot
> /dev/sda2 swap
> /dev/sda3 reiserfs /
>
> I'm sure I'm not doing something right, but have no idea what it is.  I
> appreciate any pointers to get me started.  Thanks.

Answering my own question... We bought three of these systems from CDW,
pre-configured.  Well, I finally figured out that they put the memory
DIMMs in the incorrect slots.  When I corrected that, FC4 installed
without a hitch.  I'm now testing to see if the Out-Of-Memory killer has
been fixed with the FC4 kernel.

--
Guy Rouillier