Sad state of music playing on FC4

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Wed Jul 27 04:10:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:50:56 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:

>  > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:20:40 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
>  >
>  > > prime time.  Back to xmms.  xmms handles the m3u as expected.  No
>  > > problems.  But I sure like docking the xmms controls into the panel.
>  > > Imagine my chagrin when I learn that FC4 and docking xmms controls are
>  > > not happening (please, please tell me I'm wrong and what I missed and
>  > > how to do it!).
>  >
>  > Can you give some details or point to a bug report with a good problem
>  > description of this in bugzilla.redhat.com?
>
> A googling came up with http://wwww.hellion.org.uk/xmms-status-plugin
> as working for KDE.

Aha. A separate plugin.

> I then searched (yum) for the RPM and came up empty.
> I also took note of a 2 year gap in News item entries on that
> web page, along with a disclaimer from the maintainer that he doesn't
> even use xmms any longer.  This is not the kind of active support I
> was hoping (and expecting) to find.

Right.  Could also be a good reason why nobody wanted to package this
plugin for Fedora Extras yet.

> My conclusion (perhaps hasty) is
> that if one wants a panel applet for xmms similar to the one that
> existed prior to FC4 and now exists for Rhythmbox, then one will have
> to jump through hoops.  This is one of those cases where I'm really
> hoping somebody steps up and tells me that I'm wrong and points me to
> the kind of solution that is compelling for the Fedora maintainers to
> embrace.  But since xmms has been "thrown overboard" with FC4 I'm not
> holding my breath.

XMMS has been moved into Fedora Extras, not "thrown overboard".  Actually,
in Fedora Extras the community has a much bigger opportunity to influence
development of the XMMS package. About the only reason why I asked, to
find out whether anything was wrong with the current package.