Boot Fedora Linux Faster..boot in under 25 seconds

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 06:25:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 07:48:33AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
 > On 7/26/05, Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > > The article explains disabling services including
 > > SELinux, and enabling the Early Login feature in
 > > Fedora. It does give a nice breakdown of times with
 > > charts to illustrate the boot process.
 >
 > This IS interesting. Maybe the lessons learned here could be
 > incorporated into a future Fedora release? I remember a discussion
 > about boot times a few months ago. And why should X start twice?

Some of the stuff mentioned in this article is questionable
at best.  Recompiling a kernel so that the Amiga Filesystem
support isn't built isn't going to make things boot any faster
than it would if you have it built as a module, as it doesn't get
loaded unless it's needed/asked for.
Recompiling the kernel to disable selinux/audit is a bit overkill
that should have the same net result as booting with selinux=0
Finally, moving ext3 from a module in the initrd to linked-into-kernel
code really isn't going to make any noticable difference.

The gdm early start stuff is being worked on, so is nothing new.

The disabling of various daemons is probably the biggest area
where we can see boot-time savings. Some work already happened on
this in FC4 (For eg, microcode_ctl should no longer startup if you
have a CPU that doesn't support microcode updates). More work is needed
in this area for various other daemons/startup code.

		Dave