PostgreSQL 7.1.3 installation problem on FC3

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jul 27 08:07:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 15:41 +0800, Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm recently migrating a OpenACS 3.2.5 website to a Fedora Core 3
> server
> My problem was PostgreSQL compilation.
> Everytime I run ./configure, the compilation ended with these lines:

Are you sure you have all required *-devel packages installed?

> (some lines skipped)...
> checking for preprocessor stringizing operator... yes
> checking for signed types... no
> checking for volatile... no
> checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... sys/time.h
> checking for tm_zone in struct tm... no
> checking for tzname... no
> checking for union semun... no
> checking for struct sockaddr_un... no
> checking for int timezone... no
> checking types of arguments for accept()... configure: error: could
> not determine argument types

These all indicate you might not have all required *-devel packages
installed, or ... that the configure scripts is utterly broken.

> I searched the last line on google and found nothing applicable.
> I went to config.log and see these lines:
>
> (some lines skipped)...
> configure:3122: gcc -o conftest -O2     conftest.c -lreadline  1>&5
> In file included from configure:3111:
> confdefs.h:7: error: syntax error before numeric constant
> confdefs.h:9: error: missing terminating " character
> There are so many lines about syntax error.
I would assume them to be follow-ups to earlier issues.

The confdefs.h:7 error probably is the origin. As it seems, the
configure script inserts invalid code to it.

> I think it may be the problem of gcc version
I wouldn't exclude this possibility, but this seems rather unlikely to
me.

> or some library may be missed.
This seems more likely to me.

> Or is there any other possible cause?
Plenty.

Most common cause for such issues: Buggy configure scripts. I don't know
this package, so I don't know about this configure script's details.

Ralf