Uninstalling exim (when turning it off is not enough)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jul 27 11:01:40 UTC 2005

neidorff wrote:
>>>I'm sorry to give a flaky answer, but whatever pop server is installed
>>>with qmailrocks.  Courier does imap in this setup, I think it also
>>>does pop.  I did a manual login to the pop server
>>>(#telnet localhost 110)
>>>and was able to successfully log into my account and list my mail.  I
>>>assume that means that the pop server is working properly?
>>
>>It's at least working for localhost. It might not be listening on other
>>interfaces.
>>
>>What's the output of:
>># netstat -lpn | grep 110
>

> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:110                 0.0.0.0:*
>      LISTEN      10652/tcpserver
>
> This tcpserver is the one that came with qmail (the ucspi-tcp-0.88
> package).  Its the only one on the system.

The netstat output indicates that it's listening on all interfaces, not
just localhost, so it should be usable from anywhere as long as you
don't have a /etc/hosts.deny entry or firewall rule that is blocking
access from anywhere else.

Is your kmail configured to use the pop server on localhost?

Paul.