Small? problem with NIS/YP

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Wed Jul 27 13:22:12 UTC 2005

Hi All,

When I use yppasswd to change a users password it seems to work OK. The
password is changed in the password source file. However if I try to
login with the new password I can't, but the old password still works.

So it appears that the password in the active password database isn't
being updated. This is confirmed because if I restart ypserv then the new
password becomes active.

I see the following error message in /var/log/messages

ypserv: refused connect from 127.0.0.1:791 to procedure ypproc_clear (,;0)

Now I've tried this with iptables disabled and with no hosts.allow/deny
file so it doesn't appear to be a problem with either of those. My
securenets file contains the lines

#  Always allow access for localhost
255.0.0.0		127.0.0.1

I run ypserv and yppasswdd on specific ports 801/803 to allow them through
the firewall.

Any ideas.

Thank's
Tony