Where's apt for core 4?

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Wed Jul 27 15:20:28 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>>Livna is ill-advised.
>>>

>>So?
>>
>>Where would be the point in providing and maintaining a separate Apt
>>repository (and additional meta data) if there is no such official
>>repository for Fedora Core and Fedora Extras?
>>

>livna is not connected to FC nor FE :=)
>

>> It not only increases the
>>repository maintenance requirements at rpm.livna.org (even if somebody
>>automates things with scripts),
>>

>Using the right tools, the amount is close to zero ;)
>

>> it also creates a second point of failure
>>for users, who access the rpm.livna.org repository.
>>
>>And has anything changed with regard to "ExcludeArch: x86_64 ppc64"
>>and Apt's upstream maintenance?
>>

>No, but ... has anything changed in RH's packaging? apt is able to
>support SuSE's packaging on 64bit platforms:
>see ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/linux/suse/apt
>
>Has anything changed in yum not being able to process:
>* yum remove libgcj
>* yum remove eclipse
>

>>The reason I recommend Yum is because based on my personal experience, it
>>works most of the time for me, for normal "update" and "install" mode.
>>

>Try "remove", it doesn't work in many cases.
>

>>I never liked Apt and its less user-friendly interface (genbasedir,
>>apt-cache, install -f suggestions and the various invocations).
>>

>That's your personal preference, mine is substantially different.
>
>Just try:
>yum install eclipse
>yum remove libgcj
>
>At this point you would appreciate having "apt-get -f"
>
>Ralf

    Personally, I use the synaptic front-end to apt.  The graphical
interface has helped me identify and correct several duplicate version
situations, and it makes finding and installing new packages a snap.
I've tried yumex, but it doesn't even make it out of the gate.  Yum is
fine for ordinary install/update but for cleaning up the mess left after
a product upgrade or a failed experiment with a mismatched repository,
you've got to have a graphical interface.
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn