Goodbye Fedora and hello Centos?

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Wed Jul 27 16:50:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 11:10 -0500, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 July 2005 11:05, Paul Hoy wrote:
> > I have a very naive question. If Red Hat and CentOS are virtually
> > the same, why were Dave's DVD drive issues resolved in CentOS,
> > but not in Red Hat?
>
> He didn't try Red Hat, he tried Fedora FC4 which is not the same
> thing.
>
> Regards, Mike Klinke

Hi
I'm dual booting FC4 and CentOS on one machine
and using FC3 on a separate m/c as my "main" machine

CentOS4.1 (RHEL4) is more stable because its been out far longer than
FC4 !!!!

FC3 had trouble (for me) with udev, hal, gam-server, kernel when it
first came out but is solid now!!

For CentOS
I have added dag.repo (RHEL4) to get hold of video type things
mplayer, xine
rpmbuild totem-xine-src.rpm from dag also

cat dag.repo
[dag] name=Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1

gpgkey=http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt