Boot Parameters

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 16:57:49 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 26.07.2005 schrieb Mike McCarty um 3:26:
>

>>I have a question which I have as yet been unable to answer.
>>
>>What are the boot parameters which can be passed to the kernel,
>>what do they mean, and why are they present?

[snip]

>>For example, rhgb. I suppose that this is an acronym which
>>stands for Red Had Graphics Boot. But I don't *know* that.
>

> You are correct about the acronym meaning. It is not correct, that this
> is a kernel parameter.
>

>>Can anyone document all such parameters, what they stand for,
>>and why one would chose to use them?
>

> Kernel parameters are documented in a text file in the kernel sources or
> inside the kernel-doc package in file
>
> /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.11/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

Thank you for your kind reply. I didn't install sources. I wonder
whether I can browse the install discs? Unfortunately:

$ ls /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.11/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
ls:
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.11/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt: No
such file or directory

> Other possible parameters you could document yourself by reading
> /etc/rc.sysinit. For example you will find in that init script the check
> for the "rhgb" call.
> If I remember correctly a helpful guy did the work already in the past
> and mailed a list here on this list.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately:

$ ls /etc/rc.init
ls: /etc/rc.init: No such file or directory

Mike