User has computer locked

nodata fedora at nodata.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 17:38:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 12:23 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> nodata wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 15:10 -0700, Stanley Davis wrote:
> [how can I shut down a computer with keyboard locked and don't know
> password?]

Locked KEYBOARD? How is the keyboard locked? (and how would a user enter
a password with a locked keyboard?)
What do you mean?

The original poster said
"Is there a way to unlock/logoff a user that has the computer locked.."

> > Apparently you can unlock any user by entering the root password.
> > I've never tried.
>
> I just tried (FC2) and that does not work here.
>
> > As an alternative, ssh to the machine, or switch to a virtual console
> > (Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in as root, then run pkill xscreensaver.
>
> CTRL-ALT-F2 might be better, since on some computers (apparently
> according to some posts here earlier) CTRL-ALT-F1 turns some
> computers OFF.

The posts earlier were hinting at (if these are the same posts)
confusion between a black virtual console screen and something going
wrong.