SHRED for EXT3?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 18:39:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 13:10, Mike McCarty wrote:

> I am familiar with these, but the primary objection to what he wrote
> is that this is a journalled file system. IOW, the writes take place
> to a separate location and then are committed.

So the real question is, how can you flush the journalled information
prior to running the shred utility?  And where is the journalled
information stored prior to being committed?

Another question is, is the customer requiring a DOD level of deletion
or is a standard rm sufficient?  Realizing that with significant effort
that some of the data may be recoverable?

I suspect that if you make a best effort at deleting all project files
and disposing of any backups of these files they are not going to be
concerned with the possible use of forensic recover techniques to get
portions of those files back.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You should never bet against anything in science at odds of more than
about 10^12 to 1.
		-- Ernest Rutherford