AMAnda Issue

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 18:50:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 14:12, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 July 2005 1:59 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > Neither of these will do bare-metal restores of windows clients, but
> > can save data files via samba  - and with backuppc you have the option
> > of using rsync.
> >

> Which leads me to ask, is there any opensource software that WILL do bare
> metal restores? I currently use Acronis for a lot of backup chores in my

It has been awhile but last year I did work with partimage which allowed
you to backup the partitions of a system over the network to another
system.  This did require taking the system down to boot from the CD.

The main thing you needed was the partition layout for the system so
when you went to restore things you could setup the drives correctly.

Depending on the applications being used this may be a solution or part
of a solution.  Database backups/restores are notorious for being
difficult to setup and execute.  Simple file system backups do not
suffer some of the same restrictions that database backups suffer from.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

... the MYSTERIANS are in here with my CORDUROY SOAP DISH!!