SHRED for EXT3?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 20:02:38 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 14:58, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>>I suspect that if you make a best effort at deleting all project files
>>>and disposing of any backups of these files they are not going to be
>>>concerned with the possible use of forensic recover techniques to get
>>>portions of those files back.
>>
>>I suspect you are right. I don't foresee any real problem. But I'd
>>like to comply with the contract in the most comprehensive way
>>possible. I'm not so concerned with them complaining, as I am with
>>my own ethical standards. I signed that contract, and I want to be
>>a man of my word.
>

> That is commendable!

Thanks.

> In the future you will probably want to utilize a dedicated drive for
> such files.  But then you need to make sure nothing ends up in swap or
> temporary storage on another portion of your system if you are trying to
> be that strict.

Prolly a good idea.

> Even file transfer programs would have to be examined to determine where
> they keep files you are actively transferring since most keep a temp
> copy somewhere and then copy the whole file to the final destination.
>
> You could over think this until you make yourself crazy.  :)

I wasn't aware of the issues of overwriting files with ext3 until
recently. OTOH, I may later dispose of this machine, and I wouldn't
want their information falling into other people's hands. I don't
want to have to remember to do something extreme a few years later.
I'd like to just wipe the files, and be done with it. Overwriting
swap is probably a good idea, and likely easy to do. Hmm. Maybe not.
Does the Fedora rescue CD automatically mount a swap partition if
it finds it? Knoppix does. Maybe there is a way to tell Knoppix
not to. I'll have to investigate that.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike