Increasing inodes without recreating file system

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Wed Jul 27 21:11:48 UTC 2005

Damian Menscher wrote:

> Random idea (assuming your vpopmail is less than 5 gig or so):

It's about 3.5GB at the moment, and I've just noticed that about 1GB of
that is a copy of my Maildir from when I did a migration so that's gone
for a start!

It's now down to 2.5GB and about 750MB is in my .bogofilter directory -
most of that's gone now too! So, I'm down to < 2GB, and I've freed up
loads of my precious inodes!

> Try shrinking your /usr partition, and create a new partition there with
> the -T news option.  Then move /home/vpopmail over to that partition.
> That will free up nearly half of your inodes in /home, which may be
> sufficient for your needs.

I suspect it will.

Incidentally, I created /usr with the default inode setting so I've got
over 1M inodes free on there so /home/vpopmail should migrate to
/usr/home/vpopmail quite easily.

> BTW, you make for a great example.  I've always (for some convoluted
> definition of "always") known it was possible to run out of inodes, but
> never saw anyone do it.

Yeah, thanks for that. :)

R.