(OT) Bit Torrent usage ...

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 27 21:38:51 UTC 2005

mike...

the torrent technology is essentially a technology to share files in a
distributed manner. at a fundamental level, it works by breaking up a file
into chunks and allowing these chunks to be transferred/downloaded to your
machine by a client, although the given chnucks might be located on multiple
machines on the net... there is no security issue, other than the fact that
you need to specify/open ports, and you need to 'trust' your client app.

the rationale behind the torrent tecnology, was a realization that the isp
provides a greater download than upload speed. if you break up the file into
chunks, and allow the user to dowwnload the chunks in parallel from multiple
servers, then you have the potential to fill up your download pipe in a more
efficient manner. of course this might essentially be equal to what you'd
get if you were already downloading the file from a robust mirror...

bittorrent works relatively well when you're dealing with large files, that
lots of people are downloading, in that the network of possible places your
client can select to download the chunks gets pretty large... when the file
you want is not downlaoded by many people, it's often better to find a good
mirror...

the reason for allowing others to in turn use your machine to download the
file is the ability to 'give' back, but it's also tied into the way the
client works... the author/client attempts to specifically cap your download
speed based upon how freely you allow others to download from you.  the more
you allow people to download from you, the looser the restrictions on your
download speed.

hope this helps you get a little better understanding..

-bruce