Fedora & Ndiswrapper & Mimo Wireless

Paul Hoy paul.hoy at mac.com
Wed Jul 27 22:14:40 UTC 2005

On Jul 27, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Jeff Vian wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 22:13 -0400, Paul Hoy wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>

>> [Notes inline]

>>> 1)
>>> i586 is only needed for very old Pentium and maybe PII processors.
>>> PIII
>>> and up all use the I686 kernels.
>>>

>>> Also, the kernel version you list "2.6.12-1.388_FC4.stk16" is not in
>>> the
>>> list of kernels I see on the linuxant site.  Which kernel did you
>>> actually install?
>>>

>> The kernel I installed is:
>>

>> 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
>>

>> But the name of the downloaded file is called:
>>

>> kernel-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.stk16.i686.rpm.zip
>>

>> The kernel is listed and can be downloaded from:
>>

>> http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-fc4-kernel-
>> i686.php
>>

>> And, before I get the kernel panic, the screen reads:
>>

>> "Booting Fedora Core (2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.stk16)"
>>

>> I noticed in my previous email that I wrote "2.6...388" .. should
>> have
>> said "2.6...398".
>>

> Typos happen but I wanted to be sure what you meant.
>

>> Do you think that I used the incorrect kernel and that this caused
>> the
>> kernel pacic. I have since tried another install, with the same
>> result.
>>

>> By the way, I read somewhere that the mimo-based or pre-n cards might
>> not be supported by ndiswrapper. I wonder if this is the case with
>> Linuxant?
>>

> This is the latest FC4 kernel (for now at least) and AFAIK the only
> differences with the kernel from Linuxant and the one from Fedora
> is the
> size of the stack.  The kernel itself should not cause the panic, and
> does not for me.
>
> Is your system fully updated and consistent?  You need to have the
> full
> kernel and kernel-devel packages from Fedora installed for that kernel
> level _before_ you install/boot the Linuxant kernel.  That way when
> you
> compile the driver (ndiswrapper or driverloader) it gets properly
> linked
> and can be used.
>
> My procedure when I use ndiswrapper is to install/update the kernel
> packages from Fedora, and compile ndiswrapper for that kernel.  Only
> after ndiswrapper has been compiled and installed do I install the
> kernel from Linuxant. With this sequence for me everything works.
>

> To trouble shoot the kernel panic, do you still have the fedora kernel
> installed?  If so  you should be able to select it from the menu and
> boot from it.

Hi,

I installed the kernel three times and each time experienced a panic.

I used a completely clean install for the last two attempts. In other
words, I formatted, reinstalled FC4 from the CDs, rebooted, and then
conducted a complete update.

To be honest, I don't remember if I had the full kernel and kernel-
devel packages installed. This means, of course, that I will try it
again.

Thanks to your earlier advice, I'm able to troubleshoot the panic by
selecting it from the menu.

By the way, when you installed the Linaxant kernel, did you use the
pre-compiled or general version? Also, did you use Linuxant's online
install process or did you just download DriverLoader?

Thanks for your continuing assistance.

Paul