YUM - What is happening during update? (FC2 + Legacy)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 22:14:55 UTC 2005

Jonathan Pickard wrote:
>>To make things more obvious to the casual reader
>>
>>YUM *says* it is *downloading*, and what I *observe* is that
>>the *network* is quiet, while the *disc* is going nuts.
>>
>>THAT is the question.
>

> 1. YUM downloads an xml "header" file - this is what YUM is doing
> when it tells you it is downloading. YUM needs and updated xml file
> to determine if there are new files in the repo. The file is tiny so
> you will probably not see any actively on the modem/network.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought something like that might be the case.

> 2. I think you are seeing activity on your disc due to the rpm db
being read by YUM to determine what files in the xml header are newer
than the files on your machine.

That is what I thought. I dunno who is responsible for YUM, but
somewhat more apropos display messages might be in order.

Erm, I reflowed that for you, but in future could you please hit
the Return/Enter key a few times?

Mike