SHRED for EXT3?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 23:59:52 UTC 2005

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 18:49 -0500, Damian Menscher wrote:
>

>>Not sure why there's so much discussion here....
>>
>>BTW, you will be amused to hear I wiped a drive for someone a few years
>>ago via the (wipe|shred) /dev/hda method.  25 passes of patterns and
>>random data.  No way any government could get that data back.  Doubtful
>>that aliens could get it either.  And the person still keeps the drive
>>in a secure location.  Yes, some people are paranoid.
>

> Jeez, seems a sledge hammer would make more sense...

You do speak of that which you do not know.

I want to wipe information belonging to me off of a drive
belonging to someone else. Hammering someone else' drive
is not an acceptable measure.

Also, I want to wipe someone else' information off my currently
used disc, in such a way they can be assured it is truly
gone.

Hammering my own disc is not an acceptable measure, either.

Try geting some context before jumping in next time, ok?

Mike