RSS and how it works

Lokrin redhat at lokrin.net
Thu Jul 28 00:17:02 UTC 2005

Mike Chambers wrote:

>I was reading about this and thought it might be something I can do/use.
>I was wondering if someone uses this at home on their desktop or
>whatever and how to does it work?  Does it sit on your desktop (coexist
>with your current desktop background/image) and has updates to sites you
>want to monitor?  Anyone with a screen shot of it and what it does for
>you?
>
>Also, does Fedora come with a "news aggregator" software or whatever it
>is to use RSS feeds?
>
>Thanks ahead of time,

Thunderbird email client has RSS built it.  In fact, when creating a new
account the first thing is to tell it whether it is an email, movemail,
rss/blog or news group account.

I don't use it, but it should work basically the same as email and news
groups.  You can probably get a choice of either a short message with a
link to the full message, or a full message.  Kinda like the difference
between downloading only headers or the full message in news groups,
except that there is more info in the RSS short version.