NIS and mixing distros

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Thu Jul 28 02:08:31 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 21:50, P Jones wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I have a Centos 4.1 server and three FC4 workstations in my little
> network. I just started using NIS for authentication and NFS for /home
> serving. For fun I did a quick Ubuntu install on one machine, and ran
> into the wall when it came to differences between groups/GIDs. For
> example, Debian has the audio group GID 29, and RH/FC has rpcusers at
> 29, and RH/FC doesn't seem to have an audio group, so my Ubuntu
> machine user couldn't get access to the sound card unless I granted
> access using pam_group on the client. I like the idea of NOT having to
> touch the client, just controlling access from the server.
*nods* Yeah - good luck with that... We have it even worse - we got HP-UX,
Solaris, AIX and Linux in different versions everywhere... Most people wonder
why when they first log into their Linux box, their user ID shows up as
"games" :-D
Anyway - the solution is easy... there is none. Either you mod the groups on
your client or you find another way to work around your issue...

> Another very wierd thing was that before I was using NIS and just
> using NFS for /home, even if I set UIDs and usernames and GIDs and
> group names to be the same on the Centos server and the Ubuntu
> workstation, the Ubuntu machine couldn't get access to some
> directories I was attempting to share with NFS. Then I switched on NIS
> and they worked.
Now, that's one thing that shouldn't happen... There must have been something
else set wrong... hosts maybe?

Peter.