SHRED for EXT3?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 28 07:29:00 UTC 2005

Robert Nichols wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>     One issue is that if I overwrite the file, the location
>> which contains the original data is *not* the place the overwrite
>> is done to.
>

> The 'shred' program overwrites the file in a manner that does not
> reallocate the space.  You can also do that with 'dd' if you use

[snip]

Hmm. The man page for shred contradicts what you say.

QUOTE MODE ON

CAUTION:  Note  that shred relies on a very important assumption: that
the filesystem overwrites data in place.  This is the traditional  way
to  do  things, but many modern filesystem designs do not satisfy this
assumption.  The following are examples of filesystems on which  shred
is not effective:

* log-structured or journaled filesystems, such as those supplied with

        AIX and Solaris (and JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Ext3, etc.)

QUOTE MODE OFF

The context of this discussion is ext3.

Mike