now KDE packages can't be updated via "yum"

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Jul 28 21:15:46 UTC 2005

On Thursday 28 July 2005 4:55 pm, David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 16:31 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   this is starting to get kind of tiresome.  having followed the
> > instructions at:
> >
> >   http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > to add a repo file for the KDE yum repos, i did:
> >
> >   # yum list updates
> >
> > and got a pile of KDE-related rpms that could be updated.  terrific, i
> > think, go for it:
>
> These are NOT official Fedora packages. Fedora maintainers cannot be
> responsible for compatibility with third party compilations.

While true, why not just point Robert in the right direction. KDE-Redhat has
its own active list of pleasant folks, including the package maintainers.
KDE-Redhat is maintained by folks who feel the Fedora project tends to more
heavily tilt towards Gnome. They keep their KDE packages much more closely in
step with KDE releases - they had KDE 3.4 packaged for FC3 for months before
FC4 was released, for instance. Last night they just updated the packages to
3.4.2 - You can subscribe to their light-volume list here:
Disclaimer: I'm not part of the KDE-Redhat team - just a satisfied consumer.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA