Unable to connect to VNC Server (Fedora Core 4) from Win2000 client - Used to work fine

Ferindo Middleton Jr fmiddleton at verizon.net
Fri Jul 29 01:34:16 UTC 2005

Aamir,

It was my gdm.conf file that was causing the problem. I didn't even try
your services or vnc1024 file. I mean, I compared these two files to my
own counterpart files and determined that the configuration you chose
was almost identical to mine so I backed up my existing gdm.conf file
and then copied yours to my /etc/X11/gdm directory and then rebooted my
machine. I was then able to VNC to the ports I used to use before my
VNC/GDM login stopped working after the FC4 upgrade... I analyzed my old
gdm.conf file to yours and noticed where  I had a few awkward  parameter
settings... these 'abnormal' config settings I had were the reason my
vnc/gdm setup wasn't working. Thanks for letting me use your files to
compare to mine. If you hadn't let me use them, I'd still be irritated
and 'so sure!' my configuration couldn't be at the heart of why things
hadn't been working...

What I think it is though... I had previously been using the Gnome
graphical configuration tool and I think that it had been putting  these
awkward parameters into the file... I had a problem just a couple of
weeks ago where  I  had been trying to use  the Gnome "Network" tool to
configure my server's NIC for multiple ip addresses when a guy had
recommended that I just configure this by using config files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts instead of the 'Network' tool which
apparently was not editing the configuration files properly... stuff
like this are probably the most significant kinds of bugs the community
spends time fixing for average users and I guess the point of all this is...

Graphical configuration tools are bad and you can save alot of time by
setting configurations more manually instead of assuming that the
graphical tool is properly appending the  configurations  and running
the proper scripts to initialize configuration.... Maybe I'm slowly but
surely becoming less  of a 'newbie'...

Ferindo

--
Ferindo Middleton