Screensavers in FC4... and other things.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 29 08:56:56 UTC 2005

David Fernandez wrote:

>>>It worked OK... I really did
>>># rpm -Uhv /media/cdrecorder/Fedora/RPMS/xscreensaver*extras*
>>>It's curious that these didn't get installed on a fresh installation.
>>
>>They wouldn't unless you explicitly requested them or you did an
>>"everything" install.
>>

> I think the only possibility at the graphical X installation is to chose everything... I think these screensaver options doesn't appear explicitly
>

>>>   Also curious that if I give the xscreensaver* to rpm it doesn't
>>>install the extras with -F nor -U...
>>
>>Were you in the directory containing the packages when you did that?
>>

> I was at $HOME, I gave the complete path all the time like in the above command.

>>>   It's a local network site, I've also tried it configuring a dummy proxy >>and telling that the site I want to access is on my local network, but no >>way, it doesn't matter if you are using proxy or not and if it is a local >>network or an internet site.
>>
>>What exact error message did you get (in full)?
>>
>>What happens if you do:
>>
>>$ curl -v http://www.mysite.com:87/
>>
>>Paul.
>

> It appears a mozilla/firefox window saying "alert" in the tittle bar and "Access to the port number given has beeen disabled for security reasons" in the client region with an "OK" button.
>
> Here you are the curl result... it seems to work right... it gives me the good web page... so it seems to be the browser, I think...
>
> $ curl -v --ntlm -u myuser:mypassword http://www.mysite.com:87/
> * About to connect() to www.mysite.com port 87
> *   Trying nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn... * connected
> * Connected to www.mysite.com (nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn) port 87
> * Server auth using NTLM with user 'myuser'
>
>>GET / HTTP/1.1
>
> Authorization: NTLM xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Host: www.mysite.com:87
> Pragma: no-cache
> Accept: */*
>
> < HTTP/1.1 401 Access Denied
> < WWW-Authenticate: NTLM xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> * Ignoring the response-body
> * Connection #0 to host www.mysite.com left intact
> * Issue another request to this URL: 'http://www.mysite.com:87/'
> * Re-using existing connection! (#0) with host www.mysite.com
> * Connected to www.mysite.com (nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn) port 87
> * Server auth using NTLM with user 'myuser'
>
>>GET / HTTP/1.1
>
> Authorization: NTLM xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Host: www.mysite.com:87
> Pragma: no-cache
> Accept: */*
>
> < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> < Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
> < Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:55:31 GMT
>
> <head>
> The content seems to be right !

OK, so there's no underlying reason why you can't access this URL from
your machine, which means that it's almost certainly a browser or proxy
issue. Have you tried any browser other than mozilla (do any other
browsers support NTLM auth?)? Have you tried turning off any proxy
setting altogether and configuring mozilla to connect directly every time?

Paul.