APM Kernel Support

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jul 29 11:25:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:

> Even though APM is supposed to be compiled into the kernel on FC4 "so I
> understand", is there documentation somewhere that explains how to recompile
> the kernel with APM support?  I have tried googling it but really didn't have
> any luck on finding something specific to APM.
>
> I have tried the following (That makes me believe there is no Kernel
> Support):
> Append acpi=off in the grub.conf file, I tried to susped my machine and I got
> the following:
> They Suspend Command '/usr/bin/apm -s' was unsucssful" and if I do it from
> the command line it tells me "No APM Support in Kernel".

Did you run "apm -s" as root?

What happens when you press the sleep button?

What is the output of lsmod?

In the bootup messages, is there a line about starting the apmd service?
Is there a line later on about starting the ACPI service?

> That is the same error that I get when I don't have "acpi=off" to the
> grub.conf file.

Makes sense (sort of).  The command fails either way, apparently because
it can't communicate with apmd.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences