now KDE packages can't be updated via "yum"

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 29 11:26:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Michael Schwendt wrote:

... snip ...

> The policy for Core and Extras, that they must not conflict and that
> Extras must not upgrade Core, is a foundation for an extended set of
> base packages, which can be built upon. E.g. by a 3rd party
> repository like rpm.livna.org. It's up to rpm.livna.org to play well
> with this base just like Extras plays well with Core. Every opposite
> behaviour is a bug.

yeah, what he said (i think).  it may be that i'm looking at this too
simplistically but here's what i think is not acceptable behaviour.

as a test, i disabled every yum repo except for fedora's "base" and
"updates-released" since i know i can trust them.  trying to "yum
update" showed me that there were no updates for my current system.
good.

now i enabled the single repository "kde-redhat-stable".

# yum list updates
... several dozen updateable packages, mostly KDE-related ...

# yum update
... snip ...
Error: Missing Dependency: graphviz is needed by package kdesdk
Error: Missing Dependency: libmad.so.0 is needed by package arts
Error: Missing Dependency: libsamplerate.so.0 is needed by package
kdemultimedia
Error: Missing Dependency: liblcms.so.1 is needed by package
kdegraphics
Error: Missing Dependency: libgnokii.so.2 is needed by package kdepim
Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/bin/pinentry-qt is needed by package
kdepim
Error: Missing Dependency: libmad.so.0 is needed by package
kdemultimedia
Error: Missing Dependency: libtag.so.1 is needed by package k3b
Error: Missing Dependency: libtag.so.1 is needed by package
kdemultimedia
Error: Missing Dependency: libsamplerate.so.0(libsamplerate.so.0.0) is
needed by package k3b
Error: Missing Dependency: libgpgme.so.11(GPGME_1.0) is needed by
package kdepim
Error: Missing Dependency: libgpgme.so.11 is needed by package kdepim
Error: Missing Dependency: libsndfile.so.1(libsndfile.so.1.0) is
needed by package k3b
Error: Missing Dependency: libsamplerate.so.0(libsamplerate.so.0.0) is
needed by package kdemultimedia
Error: Missing Dependency: liblcms.so.1 is needed by package
ImageMagick-perl
Error: Missing Dependency: liblcms.so.1 is needed by package
ImageMagick
Error: Missing Dependency: libjasper-1.701.so.1 is needed by package
ImageMagick
Error: Missing Dependency: libsndfile.so.1 is needed by package k3b
Error: Missing Dependency: libxine.so.1 is needed by package
kdemultimedia
Error: Missing Dependency: libjasper-1.701.so.1 is needed by package
kdelibs
Error: Missing Dependency: libsamplerate.so.0 is needed by package k3b
Error: Missing Dependency: libmp3lame.so.0 is needed by package
kdemultimedia
Error: Missing Dependency: libmad.so.0 is needed by package
libtunepimp

  now, in my humble (and perhaps thoroughly deluded) opinion, that
repository is broken.  yes, i'm aware that it's not an "official" FC
repository.  that's not the point.  from my perspective, if i try to
add a single external repository to my current set and it causes
errors like the above, it's broken.

  (now, it's entirely possible that, because of the screwing around i
was doing yesterday, i've got a system that, while it works, has some
funny combinations of packages that is causing this.  regardless, my
point above still holds -- adding an external repo, official or not,
to the mix and getting errors like this should be considered a bug.)

  thoughts.

rday