now KDE packages can't be updated via "yum"

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 29 12:37:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   this is starting to get kind of tiresome.  having followed the
> > instructions at:
> >
> >   http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > to add a repo file for the KDE yum repos, i did:
> >
> >   # yum list updates
> >
> > and got a pile of KDE-related rpms that could be updated.  terrific, i
> > think, go for it:
> >
> > # yum update
> > ... big snip ...
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libmad.so.0 is needed by package arts
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libgnokii.so.2 is needed by package kdepim
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libmad.so.0 is needed by package kdemultimedia
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libxine.so.1 is needed by package kdemultimedia
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libmp3lame.so.0 is needed by package
> > kdemultimedia
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libmad.so.0 is needed by package libtunepimp
>
> kde-redhat depends-on/requires both Fedora Extras and rpm.livna.org

this really doesn't address the fundamental issue here.  in the first
place, that repo dependency is not mentioned anywhere here:

  http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

which would seem to be the right place for it.

  more to the point, isn't "livna" one of the repos that is considered
to be incompatible with a vast majority of the others?  certainly, dag
wieers seems to think so:

  http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#D1

so what we have here is a repository (KDE) that has undocumented
dependencies, one of which is widely considered to not play nicely
with others.

  none of this is making me feel better, if you catch my drift.

rday