WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jul 29 13:45:31 UTC 2005

Guy Fraser wrote:

>> > Using old configuration files can and does cause lots of
>> > problems when the software that uses them is updated, that
>> > includes to user level config files in the home directories.
>> >
>> > Unless the update process has a way of updating all the configuration
>> > files under /home it is better to tar it up and store it
>> > somewhere. You can restore it in an alternate location and
>> > move the files that don't exist after the upgrade then use diff
>> > to determine what needs to changed in with the files that are left.
>> >
>> > That is basically what I do when I upgrade a server.
>>
>> You must have lots of spare time on your hands.
>>

> No, not really. Using diff and other command line 'filters',
> it doesn't take too long to find necessary changes.

I see that I have 325 files in .kde/share/config/ alone ,
many if not most of which are presumably altered when using a system
for a long time.
Do you really go through all these
each time a new version of Fedora comes out?

As I said, you must have lots of free time.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366