FC3 and 440GX

Peter Smith peter.smith at utsouthwestern.edu
Fri Jul 29 18:08:13 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Fr, den 29.07.2005 schrieb Peter Smith um 18:13:
>
>Peter,
>
>I had to use the archive to find out to which original posting your are
>replying. It would be good to mention the reference in the beginning
>line.
>Anyway, you are answering to a posting from November 13th 2004!
>
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=110032226927673&w=2
>
>What's the reason for replying to such old list mails? Just wondering.
>

>Quote from http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc1/#AlanCox:
>
>o	System hangs reporting SCSI timeouts or at the IDE probe
>	and "ide=nodma" does not help.
>
>	If this is an Intel 440GX board, await errata news
>
>	For other SMP boards please try "noapic"
>
>	You may also need to set the BIOS MP to "MP 1.1" if you can
>
>Alexander

Alexander--I do realize I was responding to a message from November of
last year.  I did not think that would be an issue--I apologize.  I was
also already aware of the 440GX problem which Alan Cox mentioned, but
that was for Fedora Core 1.  Besides, the problem I am having is similar
to what you were experiencing under Fedora Core 3.  So, have you worked
around it or are you on different hardware and/or software now?  My
system is an acpi system and not apm, so acpi is working correctly.  I
think I'm going to have to take this issue to the devel list as I think
it is a bit low-level.  Any details?

Thanks,
Peter