Prelink eating all my resources

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 18:30:37 UTC 2005

On 7/29/05, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 02:04:33PM -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> > >
> > > PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> > > 5202 root      39  19 11724 9280  536 R 89.9  1.9   0:23.59 prelink
> >
> > I don't think this is a a swap problem.  If it were, the process would be
> > out of memory, but instead it's using little memory but lots of CPU.
> > Prelink is supposed to be disk intensive, not CPU intensive, so maybe it's
> > a bug in prelink or something it uses.
>
> That's not true, prelink is actually fairly CPU intensive if it has
> a lot of work to do.  Say if you upgrade glibc or some other library
> everything or really many programs link against, then the next prelink cron
> job will have a lot of work and what you show above is certainly not
> unexpected in that case.  But that will happen only once after the upgrade,
> if you don't upgrade anything the next day, it should take just a few
> seconds (typically just stat 3-5 thousand files).  If you upgrade just some
> rarely used library or just a package with binaries, not libraries, it
> should be pretty quick as well.
>
>         Jakub

The thing is, on this machine, with FC4, it is _always_ sluggish, and
often slows to a crawl. It didn't do that in FC3 or -that other- OS.
I'll add that swap partition tomorrow and see how much it helps.
Thanks, all.

Jakub, as I see you write from a redhat address, would you be
interested in what tops 'top' when it gets so sluggish? I would do it
in bugzilla, but the last time I tried to navigate bugzilla I got
tangled up (histabahti lemi shmevin) and vowed not to go back.

Dotan
http://song-lirics.com/sl/artist/109/carlisle-belinda-lirics.php