Prelink eating all my resources

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jul 30 01:05:53 UTC 2005

Jakub Jelinek wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 02:04:33PM -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
>

>>>PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>>>5202 root      39  19 11724 9280  536 R 89.9  1.9   0:23.59 prelink
>>>

>>I don't think this is a a swap problem.  If it were, the process would be
>>out of memory, but instead it's using little memory but lots of CPU.
>>Prelink is supposed to be disk intensive, not CPU intensive, so maybe it's
>>a bug in prelink or something it uses.
>>

>That's not true, prelink is actually fairly CPU intensive if it has
>a lot of work to do.  Say if you upgrade glibc or some other library
>everything or really many programs link against, then the next prelink cron
>job will have a lot of work and what you show above is certainly not
>unexpected in that case.  But that will happen only once after the upgrade,
>if you don't upgrade anything the next day, it should take just a few
>seconds (typically just stat 3-5 thousand files).  If you upgrade just some
>rarely used library or just a package with binaries, not libraries, it
>should be pretty quick as well.
>
>	Jakub

I stopped the cronjob and have not run prelink since mid June before
today. The reason that I disabled the cronjob was the increase in
CPUspeed and elevated temperatures. This was also when using the test
distribution where updates happened frequently. I unprelinked everything
in June, but decided to try it out again because of the discussion. It
seems to run up and down on CPU usage whether ran from the commandline
or ran from the cronjob.
Is there a way to prevent prelink from exceeding 80 percent CPU usage?
This is mainly asked because it puts a laptop up to full speed and
elevated temperatures. It takes resources that can be used by other
programs while it is running.
I imagine the program is highly optimized and coded efficiently. Just an
idea to limit CPU usage to 80 percent maximum.

Thanks,
Jim

--
Windows: The answer to a question nobody has ever asked.