Constructive critisism; room for improvement:

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jul 30 13:04:11 UTC 2005

nodata wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 12:00 +0200, Andy Pieters wrote:
>

>>HI all
>>
>>I am a huge fan of Linux and Fedora in particular.  I just bought another low
>>budget pc with windows xp on so I could test how my software (php/xml) looks
>>on internet explorer.  Again it filled me with joy that I switched to Linux
>>almost a year ago, for that windows box BSODed on me within the first fifteen
>>minutes! (actually while trying to uninstall AOL) (BSOD=Blue Screen of Death
>>= Kernel Error)
>>

>No-one on this list won't know what a BSOD is.
>

>>Still, one thing that windows handles well are bad cd's.  When a cd fails, the
>>whole os doesn't come crashing down.  I was just ripping the cd Europe
>>1982-1992 on my Linux box and listening to my collection with amaroK.
>>Suddenly the system got in an endless loop.  The 5 seconds of music in the
>>play buffer were repeated over and over again.  I ejected the cd but that
>>didn't save the system.  I tried also to ssh in but that wasn't possible
>>either.  It didn't respond to pusing the poweroff button and the only
>>solution was forced power off.
>>
>>With kind regards
>>

>>Andy
>>

>I've never heard of this cd. Is it new? Is it copy protected?
>>From a terminal windows, run this while ripping the cd:
> tail -f /var/log/messages
>
>See any errors?

If the error that he experienced is similar to the lockup reading that I
experienced. The system acts like it was frozen in time. Everything
stops at where it was and nothing works after the hang except a reboot.
The screen has the same items displayed, the mouse is unresponsive, the
keyboard is unreponsive.
This should not happen to a system when a bad CD, floppy or usb media
device is nounted on the system.
Nobody wants their system killed by corrupted media which is not part of
the core operating system.

--
Windows: The answer to a question nobody has ever asked.