Constructive critisism; room for improvement:

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Jul 30 19:35:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 12:03 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Andy Pieters wrote:
>
> >HI all
> >
> >I am a huge fan of Linux and Fedora in particular.  I just bought another low
> >budget pc with windows xp on so I could test how my software (php/xml) looks
> >on internet explorer.  Again it filled me with joy that I switched to Linux
> >almost a year ago, for that windows box BSODed on me within the first fifteen
> >minutes! (actually while trying to uninstall AOL) (BSOD=Blue Screen of Death
> >= Kernel Error)
> >
> >Still, one thing that windows handles well are bad cd's.  When a cd fails, the
> >whole os doesn't come crashing down.  I was just ripping the cd Europe
> >1982-1992 on my Linux box and listening to my collection with amaroK.
> >Suddenly the system got in an endless loop.  The 5 seconds of music in the
> >play buffer were repeated over and over again.  I ejected the cd but that
> >didn't save the system.  I tried also to ssh in but that wasn't possible
> >either.  It didn't respond to pusing the poweroff button and the only
> >solution was forced power off.
> >
> >With kind regards
> >

> >Andy
> >

> Andy: I have had this exact same issue happen to me on 3 different
> occasions. I have not yet been able to reliably duplicate the problem.
> What I have discovered is that it appears that X is not responding to
> input. What I did each time was to exit X by pressing and holding down
> Control and ALT then pressing the Backspace key. This will tell X to
> exit gracefully and so far it has worked for me every time this has
> happened. I have my firewall set to block everything so I don't know if
> I would have been able to ssh in or not.
>
> Try that if it locks up on you again and see if that at least allows you
> to regain control of the system.
>
> Jim
This has been mentioned here on the list, and the one thing I have seen
repeated is the copy-protection theme.

The fix has been to avoid copy-protected CDs.  Works every time.  Any CD
that trashes my PC will quickly become part of the land fill after I
complain to the vendor and make him take it back and give me a different
one. They often don't even play in a standard CD player, which is what
triggers the replacement with a different one.