kmail- cannot start process pop3

neidorff neidorff at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 21:12:56 UTC 2005

On 7/30/05, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Sa, den 30.07.2005 schrieb neidorff um 20:21:
>
> > Holy moley!  I ran strace as you suggested, but I couldn't find
> > anything pointing at the error.  I've attached kmail.log to this
> > message.  Would you please be so kind as to take a look at it for me?
> >  (sorry it is a large-ish file)
>
> > Mark
>
> I do not see an error in the strace log either. But the error occured
> during stracing?
>
> Is SElinux active on your host? Please check /var/log/messages for audit
> / avc messages. One google hit speaks about something wrong with
> kdeinit. You could try and booting with "enforcing=0" as kernel
> parameter to test with SELinux in permissive mode. If that bring us not
> a step further, then create a new user and check whether with this one
> running Kmail the same happens. You can delete this test user and his
> files after the test run.

Yes, the error occurred during stracing.  Strange thing, I straced
twice with different log files.  The first time I made the error
happen once.  The second time I made the error happen numerous times.
Both times the log file was the same size and number of lines.

Anyway,  I have SElinux disabled.  Will booting with "enforcing=0"
tell me anything?

There is an audit message which comes up on boot:
Jul 29 10:20:41 neidorff kernel: audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
Jul 29 10:20:41 neidorff kernel: audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
Jul 29 10:20:41 neidorff kernel: audit(1122632103.538:0): initialized
Jul 29 10:20:41 neidorff kernel: audit(1122632103.538:0): initialized
I don't know if this is relavent or not.

I tried an existing user who had not logged in before.  Started kmail
and created the user's account.  Same problem.

I'm going to try the reboot with enforcing...