<link> not clickable from text document

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 20:50:15 UTC 2005

On 7/31/05, Thomas Springer <th.springer at gmx.net> wrote:
> Try this:
>
> $ sed 's|^http://\(.*/\)\(.*\)|<a href="\1\2">\1</a>|g; s|href="|
> href="http://|g' /input/file/with/links > /output/file/with/clicklinks
>

> It's minimal changed from the first example, which didn't things well
> when i tried it out with your uri.
>

> Thomas

Sorry that I didn't notice that sed was using input and output files,
should've seen that.

I made a dummy with just one link to test the sed command.  The  link
is entirely on one line, where as if I were to paste it here then it
would wrap, I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Here's the link in dumm.txt, wrapped:

<http://ipac3.vpl.ca/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=full=3100001~!1150206~!25&ri=4&aspect=basic_search$>

[thufir at arrakis click]$
[thufir at arrakis click]$ date
Sun Jul 31 21:26:23 IST 2005
[thufir at arrakis click]$ pwd
/home/thufir/click
[thufir at arrakis click]$ ll
total 36
-rw-rw-r--  1 thufir thufir    0 Jul 31 21:26 clicklist.txt
-rw-rw-r--  1 thufir thufir   95 Jul 31 21:26 dummy.txt
-rw-rw-r--  1 thufir thufir 5366 Jul 31 08:37 linklist.txt
-rw-rw-r--  1 thufir thufir 5366 Jul 31 15:38 linklist.txt.backup
[thufir at arrakis click]$ cat dummy.txt
http://ipac3.vpl.ca/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=full=3100001~!1150206~!25&ri=4&aspect=basic_search$

[thufir at arrakis click]$ sed 's|^http://\(.*/\)\(.*\)|<a
href="\1\2">\1</a>|g; s|href="|
href="http://|g' dummy.txt > clicklist.txt
sed: -e expression #1, char 58: unterminated `s' command
[thufir at arrakis click]$

I opened "dummy.txt" from openoffice and the link wasn't clickable,
but I do notice that if I were to e-mail these to myself that they
become clickable from gmail.  Still, I'd like to get the sed command
working, partly out of curiousity.

Thanks,

Thufir