Building redundancy

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Jun 1 00:01:16 UTC 2005

    First, the question: How to build redundancy on a "users" server?

    What's behind it: When our main users server goes down, no one can
log in to check their e-mail.  So the problem as it was presented this
morning was to research some way to make it so that if that server goes
down, users still have a way of getting to their e-mail or login to
their accounts for that matter.  Now, the setup we have is a bit
different from most people I'm sure.  Incoming e-mail flows as follows:

    Internet -> MX server -> spool server (NIS+ slave)

    Our "users" server - also our NIS+ master - (which is a totally
different machine) does an NFS mount of the spool server on /var/mail/
and voila, e-mail.  When our users use imap/pop to check/get/send
e-mail, they log in to that "users" server to do so.  No one
communicates directly with the spool server.  So when the "users" server
goes down, no one can get to their e-mail.  The question: what kind of
redundancy can I build so that if that server were to go down, that
users can still log in (to -something-) and still access everything they
need.  Presumably this would be a separate machine and that the fall
back would be transparent to them.  I just don't know how or what.

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6