Adding PHP modules

alex at milivojevic.org alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Jun 1 16:07:23 UTC 2005

Is there a "smarter" way of adding PHP modules than recompiling entire PHP SRPM
package?

What I'm currently doing is taking PHP SRPM package, editing php.spec file,
recompiling whole thing, and taking just the additional modules.  Would speed
up things considerably if it was possible to compile only the single module.

I noticed that modules that do come standard with Fedora are dependant on the
exact PHP version.  Is this simply packagers decision to force all modules to
be upgraded when php package is upgraded (and I don't need to have this
requirement in my php-modulename packages)?  Or the modules are really
dependant on PHP version and must be recompiled whenever basa PHP package is
upgraded (and I should also have exact version requirement in my php-modulename
packages)?  I'd like to compile the module once (if possible), instead of
recompiling it every time updated PHP package is out.  Provided there were no
security fixes for the module in question, which I need to track manaully
anyhow since neither the modules nor libraries they need are part of Fedora
(such as for example Sybase and Mcrypt modules).

Thanks to anybody who can enlighten me on this issues ;-)