xorg blowup

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Thu Jun 2 05:39:34 UTC 2005

Hi James,

James Pifer wrote:
> I used apt to upgrade my system to the latest packages. Everything is
> fine except for my display. I'm running FC3 on an HP nx9110 with an
> external 1280x1024 17 inch LCD. Prior to running the upgrade I had
> 1280x1024 resolution on the monitor.
>
> Now I can't get it to take any high resolution. I can't see the top or
> bottom menus. I even tried my old xorg.conf that I had backed up. Didn't
> work either. It also doesn't appear to save the settings I select. I
> also tried use dual head and spanning windows to see what would happen
> and doesn't work either.  This is really getting frustrating.
>
> Here's my log file. Anyone willing to take a look?
> http://www.obrien-pifer.com/xorg.log
>
> The only thing I see is that is says it does not detect a secondary
> monitor. I'm currently using the secondary monitor (laptop screen is
> down).
>
> Any help is appreciated!

could you try adding this to your device section of you graphic card

   Option "TwinView"
   Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31.5-110"
   Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-75"
   Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
   Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024"
   Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT,DFP"
EndSection

I use this on a PC w/ a NVidia GeForce FX5200 and a LCD Monitor on DVI
and a Videobeamer on VGA...

> Thanks,
> James

Hth