OS recommendations/Aging software issues

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jun 2 13:59:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 09:34, Marc M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work for a major defense contractor that is very tight with money at
> times.  Two years ago, before I came, they got RH 9 (bought or
> downloaded- whatever).  I guess that got deemed appropriate to buy at
> the time, and it has been sitting here getting old ever since.  The
> purpose of this server is to run Symantec Manhunt on it as an IDS.
> They bought Manhunt at the same time and never got around to deploying
> it until now.

You should not use Fedora for a production system as you are describing.

You should instead use RHEL, buy the support from Red Hat.  This way you
get a stable system that will have support for the next year or two.

And please setup a test environment where you apply updates prior to
rolling them out to production.  This gives you a chance to identify
problems before they cause systems to go down and people to get hurt.

Blindly running yum update on a production system is not best practice.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The Celts invented two things, Whiskey and self-destruction.