OS recommendations/Aging software issues

Markku Kolkka markkuk at tuubi.net
Thu Jun 2 14:29:18 UTC 2005

Marc M kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai, 2. kesäkuuta
2005 16:34):
> The purpose of this server is to run
> Symantec Manhunt on it as an IDS. They bought Manhunt at the
> same time and never got around to deploying it until now.
>
> Now I am about to deploy a linux server (Dell) and I am trying
> to figure out which version to go with - RH 9, FC 1-3, or
> whatever.

See the documentation of Manhunt, and see what it requires.
According to the Fact Sheet at Symantec, the current version of
Symantec Network Security (formerly known as ManHunt) needs
RHEL3. You could try one of the free clones like White Box
Enterprise Linux or CentOS instead. If the version you have
needs RHL9 and can't be upgraded, use RHL9.

> Whatever choice I make is going to have to last for a good
> while. Does anyone have any advice for this situation?

Yes, that requirement rules out any Fedora Core version.

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka at iki.fi